Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Review for Cap Refuge





Cape Refuge is a small island outside of Savannah. It has mystery, suspense, killing, God, love, what more could you ask for? We are introduced to the main characters as they are fighting the city counsel on allowing their parents home, Hanover House, from being closed down. Hanover House take in people who are just traveling through on their boats, people right out of prison and minister to these people until they are able to make it on their own. When Thelma and Wayne Owen don't show up at the counsel meeting their daughters Bliar, a non-believer, and Morgan, a believer, get worried and send Morgan's husband Jonathan out to find them.

Thelma and Wayne's bodies are found in the warehouse that they hold church service in and the prime suspect is their own son-in-law, Jonathan. Chief Cade, Jonathan's childhood best friend, has to lock Jonathan up even though Morgan and Blair need him as they morn the loss of their parents. Not believing that Jonathan is the killer Morgan and Blair set out on their own investigation and start finding hiding secrets of their parents past, trying to uncover who did this to their parents. 


***Spoilers***

Okay my thoughts.

First I don't like write reviews on books that are part of a series like this one because there is so much still left open. Does Blair ever see that Cade loves her? Does Cade ever tell Blair that he loves her? Will she finally become a christian? Will she ever get over the scars on her face? So it's hard to say how I really feel because I know we are going to learn more in the next couple of books.

But with that said, I continue.

I wanted to shake Blair. I wanted to shake her and tell her that it is alright to cry for your parents. It's okay to be upset that your parents were just murdered, cry for goodness sakes. But, she is the strong sister out of the two. She was exactly what Morgan needed to make it through not only losing her parents but also having her husband arrested for their murders. Talk about heart breaking.

Then there is Sadie. I understand how Sadie connected all the pieces together but at the same time was she really necessary for this book? It got a little lifetime movie moment on me when the ending came. I believe that I rolled my eyes. I don't believe that the judge would have brought her mothers boyfriend out to kill her. The guy is a drug addict. They don't care about anyone let alone someone miles away. He isn't going to leave his high to go and find her. Trust me, I know plenty of them and as long as you aren't in their way at that moment to get their high, then they don't care were you are.

But, with that said I loved Sadie as a character. I just hope that her story line changes for the better and she is able to make something of herself.

I thought that the fire that gave Blair her scars could have somehow led to her parents being killed. The letters that her grandma wrote sounded as if they were in some really bad things with really bad people and I thought that would have been great foreshadow for the killings.

But over all I did love the book, even though I seem to have so much negative about it, I loved the story lines, the plot, the characters, the drama. It was good. I can't wait to get my hands on the next one!

0 comments:

Post a Comment