Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Slow and steady...I guess

This morning I was able to get a workout in! I was so excited! I have been enjoying my beginning yoga stretches at night but this morning I wanted to add in some cardio.

I started my workout off like I do with any workout, I stretched! Love starting my mornings with a good stretch. I will tell you a trick to help you stretch if stretching is not your strong point. Grab a tube sock. Yup, I said a tube sock.

 
This is how almost every class is started at Lets Get Up and Move. There is so many different ways to stretch with a tube sock that will help you push yourself further, elongate, and stretch those muscles you don't normally use.
 
Sock Stretches for beginners
 
-Take the sock and start off by pulling it super tight then release the tension in the sock so your hands go back together. Think butterfly press in the sitting position. You will be opening up your chest muscles.
-Then  take your sock, sit up straight, and start to twist working our oblique's.
-Sitting on the floor, put the sock around the bottom of your feet. Then try as hard as you can to push your legs straight. This stretches the back of the leg. To take this a step further try to put your nose on your knees laying flat.
-In a straddle position, legs out in a V, wrap the sock around one foot. Try as hard as you  an to push your leg straight. Once leg is straight take it one step further lay your ear on your knee. Works your legs and your lower back! (my favorite stretch!)
 
 
After I stretched for a good 5-10 minutes I did a cardio workout with no equipment other than my house. I used my staircase and the wall. That's it!
 
Workout Routine:
 
-Up downs starting on my right side. 1 minute
(I used my bottom step and went as fast as I could up, up, down, down, for one minute)
- Wall Pushups 30
(Standing in a plank position against the wall, arms out straight, tush tucked tight, abs engaged and bench arms so nose touched the wall, then straightened arms.)
-Repeat sequence starting on the other foot.
 
Once I was done with my second set of pushups you would have thought I just ran a marathon! My body was telling me to slow down! So, I ended with a couple of stretches.
 
Took me 15 minutes total, stretching, work out, stretching. Not bad!
 
I had the negative thought that it was really only 5 minutes of cardio and I use to be able to do up to 2 hours of cardio, but I need to see the positive. I DID 5 minutes of cardio. Good job! I'm not working with a body that is healthy, I'm working with ailments that make it hard for me to even do those 5 minutes so I'm proud of those 5 minutes. Next week, I'll shoot for 10 minute workout and work my way up from there!
 
So, if you are like me, you once were healthy and able to do so much more than you can do now, don't get discouraged. It didn't take you over night to get to the place you are at, so it will not be over night that undoes what has been done. But as long as we are trying to make that change, one small step at a time, that is all that matters. Keep your head up. I'm keeping mine up. We can do this. Don't compare yourself to someone else, or even a past you. Live in the moment and make those conscious choices to change your life for good. This is the last time you will ever be this unhealthy. Keep telling yourself that and be excited for every step you do take. You are doing it!
 
Now, off to finish my first liter of water for the day. Are you drinking enough water?
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment